Elsie's Luscious Lemon Cupcakes from Tulips and Trouble are the perfect springtime treat!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the 2 eggs and 2/3 cup granulated sugar with a whisk or mixer until the mixture becomes light and foamy--this will take a few minutes. Gradually add in the melted butter and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add 3 Tbsp of lemon juice, and 1 1/2 tsp lemon zext to the wet ingredients and stir in.
- Slowly add the dry flour mixture to the large bowl of wet ingredients. Mix slowly, adding half of the flour first. Pour 1/2 cup milk in and then add the rest of the flour mixture. Mix until just combined, don't overmix the batter.
- Prepare a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Fill each cup about 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick--when the toothpick is inserted in the center of a cake and comes out clean they are done.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting:
- Add softened butter to a medium sized bowl. Using an electric mixer beat the butter until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar in slowly about 1/2 cup at a time and mix.
- Add 1 Tbsp milk and 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and a drop or two of yellow food coloring. Mix on medium/high until you get a good frosting consistency. You can adjust the consistency slightly if you want by adding a bit more powdered sugar or milk.