Elsie’s comforting Walnut Date Scones from Hyacinths and Homicide are the perfect addition to your morning coffee or tea.
Plus, they make a great afternoon pick-me-up snack!
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp milk
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut in cubes
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup pitted dates, chopped (about 14 dates)
1. Preheat oven to 375°
2. Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt.
3. Use pastry cutter or food processor to incorporate butter into dry mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Mix together eggs and buttermilk. Pour wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Stir until moisture is distributed evenly.
5. Fold in the chopped walnuts and dates.
6. Turn dough out onto a floured surface (You’ll need around 1/4 cup extra flour for this step.)
7. Pat dough into an 8 inch square, and then cut int 9 squares. Cut each square on the diagonal so that you end up with 18 small scones.
8. Place scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly golden in color.
9. Allow scones to cool and prepare the maple glaze.
10. Whisk together maple glaze ingredients until combined and drizzle over scones. Or you can use it as a dipping sauce on the side.
11. Enjoy your scone with a cup of your favorite tea or coffee!